dont ask to save testfile, if user is no administartor

New ideas and suggestions for additional functionality in RadiMation can be added to this forum
Lüder

dont ask to save testfile, if user is no administartor

Post by Lüder »

Dear radimation,
each time i change anything in a test (even a note) I am asked to save the testfile bevor execution. Of couse I cant save, do to missing admin rights and I dont want to save untill I log in as admin.
It would be a nice improvment, If you skip the question for all normal users. Just administrator can save and should be asked.

Tanks a lot
Lüder
joro

Re: dont ask to save testfile, if user is no administartor

Post by joro »

It can be difficult to detect at forehand if saving a file will be working. It can happen that due to Windows Filesystem permissions it can only be detected if it is possible to save the file, at the moment that it will be saved to disk.
Also when a file is locked by another process, this can only be detected at the moment itself that the file is being saved.

So creating a completely correct working algorithm to always detect if it is possible to save a file is difficult.

We could decide we only take the RadiMation permissions at that moment into account.
Assume that a normal end-user (which is not allowed to save the TSF file), made modification in the TSF file and presses the 'Start test' button. In this situation we can skip the 'Do you want to save?' question, and directly start the test.
This is however unlogical and unexpected in the way that documents are normally handled on the PC. Everyone expects that when a change is made to a document, and the document is closed, a 'Do you want to save?' question is raised.

Skipping the 'Do you want to save?' question is thus unlogical because it is unexpected, and will cause confusion.

What we can do is to show a warning on the TSF window. That warning will state something like: 'Due to limitations in the TSF modification rights, the changes you made in this TSF will not be saved to disk. The test you start now will be using the modified settings'.
The warning will then indicate the end-user that his changes will not be saved, but that the test will be performed using the modified settings.
The end-user can also at that moment decide to temporarily login as an engineer with more modification rights, so the file can be saved.
When we show this warning and the 'Start test' button is pressed, we can skip the 'Do you want to save?' dialog, because the end-user has been warned.

It can for example be something like this: (Not implemented yet!!, graphically adjusted/drawn):
Example of tooltip of warning
Example of tooltip of warning
UnableToSaveTooltipMockup.png (12 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
Is this what you want, and does it fullfil your request?

Best regards,
John
Lüder

Post by Lüder »

Dear John,
yes of couse, only for Radimation right not for windows or other file rights.
I would like it your solution with the (!) warning.

Best regards
joro

Post by joro »

Hello Lueder,

Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I understand that you do like the proposal.
This is indeed an acceptable solution for your request.

I registered this discussion in our database as: #6799: Don't ask to save testfile in case the user is no administrator

As this is a request for a new functionality, we currently do not know when this wish will be implemented in RadiMation.

With best regards,
John