ESPI3 R&S receiver reference level is not corectly set

Discussion and questions regarding the RadiMation device drivers that control the measurement equipment.
Rosu

ESPI3 R&S receiver reference level is not corectly set

Post by Rosu »

Hello,

the reference level at the ESPI3 receiver is not set to the level from test file. Could you investigate this?

Greetz

Marius
sast

Re: ESPI3 R&S receiver reference level is not corectly set

Post by sast »

Hello Marius,

For this issue I have created the following item: #4627 Driver: ESPI3 receiver is not set to reference level from TSF.
Could you also for this case please send me a NI trace of the test and a screen shot of your used test setting window.
Thanks in advance.

BR
joro

Post by joro »

Hello,

A measurement receiver doesn't have the concept of a reference level. Only spectrum analyzers need to have a correct configuration value for the reference level.
That is why there is no relation between the configured reference level and the top of the graph on the R&S Measurement receiver.

The most correct solution would be that RadiMation doesn't allow that the reference level can be configured when a measurement receiver is selected in the selected test-site (just like is already done for the VBW and sweeptime settings)

Or do you have another suggestion?

With best regards,
John

Sent from my HTC Vision Using ForumTouch for Android
Rosu

Post by Rosu »

Hello John,

the display of the receiver is from 0 to 100dBµV by default. This means that traces below 0dBµV cannot be seen on the instrument. It would be nice, if this can be changed. So i took a look at the ESPI. By default the grid is indeed set from 0 to 100dBµV. I don't know if the possibility of changing the grid min leel via GPIB exists...

Greetz
Marius
joro

Post by joro »

Hello Marius,

I have read the programming manual of the R&S ESPI3 receiver.
It is indeed possible to use a GPIB command to set the BOTTOM of the grid. This value defaults to 0 dBuV after a reset (which explains why the grid is currently shown from 100 dBuV - 0 dBuV in your situation).

The problem now becomes: to which value should this BOTTOM of the grid be set? It is not yet possible to relate this to the reference level value that is configured in the TSF, because that value is not forwarded to the device driver.

Do you agree if we set the BOTTOM of the graph to -20 dBuV?
It is also possible to adjust the scaling of the graph also, to set it to 120 dB. This would make the graph on the R&S ESPI being displayed from 100 dBuV to -20 dBuv.

With best regards,
John
Rosu

Post by Rosu »

Hello John,

-20dBµV is indeed a good value.

Thx and Greetz,
Marius
sast

Post by sast »

Hello Marius,

We have extended the device driver for the ESPI, which is already available for downloading from our wiki page.
Could you verify and confirm if the fix did solve your issue? Thanks!
Rosu

Post by Rosu »

Hello again,

I installed the lates driver.exe in version 5.8.38 and the Y-axis is not setted -20-100dBµV.

Greetz
Marius
sast

Post by sast »

Hello Marius,

I have checked the commands again and they should be compatible with your device. I have made a small adjustment.
Could you please download and install the latest device drivers to verify if this works for you.
If the Y axis is still not set, could you then provide us a NI spy of the start of the test including the test initialization.
Thanks in advance. Kind regards
Rosu

Post by Rosu »

Hi again,

I did this, but it's stiil not working. Attached the spy file

Gretz,
Marius
Attachments
Receiver_Y_Axis.spy
(2.74 MiB) Downloaded 456 times
sast

Post by sast »

Hello Marius,

Thank you for the NI spy. It seems that the Receiver returned an error -200 'Execution error: option not available'. It seems that we are sending this command before the receiver itself is set to Receiver mode.
For the scaling this doesn't matter, but apparently for the bottom command it does. I have made the adjustments so that now the commands are send after the receiver is set in Receiver mode.
Could you download the new drivers and verify if it is now working correctly? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Rosu

Post by Rosu »

Hi,

it works... Thx and can be closed :)

Greetz Marius
sast

Post by sast »

Great! Thanks for your verification and reply, we will now close this issue.