Preamplifier Gain calibration -> Correction File

Discussions and question about the general functionality of RadiMation
ntempone

Preamplifier Gain calibration -> Correction File

Post by ntempone »

Hello,

when I perform an EUT calibration (Attenuation/Gain) to measure the gain of a preamplifier, the result is an attenuation. The gain, therefore, can be calculated by changing the sign of the result, but when I try to use the "Create Correction File" button to make a .COR file for the preamplifier, the correction is still an attenuation and, according to the Radimation Manual (http://wiki.dare.nl/wiki/index.php/Chapter_14) the Preamplifier Gain correction file should contain the GAIN, not the ATTENUATION.

Could you please give me some advice on this? Thank you!
joro

Re: Preamplifier Gain calibration -> Correction File

Post by joro »

When a correction file is created using the "Create Correction File" of the Attenuation/Gain calibration, a correction file is created that contains a 'Frequency' and an 'Attenuation' column. This correction file can directly be attached to the preamplifier device driver.
Depending on the configuration of the correction file that is selected for the preamplifier, the correct behaviour is used:
  • 'Frequency' and 'Correction' column: The values in the 'Correction' column are interpreted as 'gain' values. A positive value is interpreted as a positive amplification of the preamplifier. These 'gain' values will be substracted from the values that are measured with the receiver/analyser.
  • 'Frequency' and 'Gain' column: The values in the 'Gain' column are interpreted as 'gain' values. A positive value is interpreted as a positive amplification of the preamplifier. These 'gain' values will be substracted from the values that are measured with the receiver/analyser.
  • 'Frequency' and 'Attenuation' column: The values in the 'Attenuation' column are interpreted as 'attenuation' values. A positive value is interpreted as a loss caused by the preamplifier. A negative value is interpreted as a positive amplification of the signal, caused by the preamplifier. These 'attenuation' values will be added to the values that are measured with the receiver/analyser.
I also updated the user manual with this information.
I hope that this clarifies your question. General conclusion is: You can safely attach the correction file that is generated to the preamplifier.
ntempone

Re: Preamplifier Gain calibration -> Correction File

Post by ntempone »

Thank you for your answer, it was very clear and useful.