61000-4-6 in Net-Power Calibration method

Discussion and questions regarding the Radiated Immunity and Conducted Immunity modules of RadiMation.
radiuser

61000-4-6 in Net-Power Calibration method

Post by radiuser »

Hi,

I’ve doing the setup for the test 61000-4-6 with the net-power-method(see attached files) but I'm not sure if this is working correct (see attached file for the result window).
e.g. the forward power is 17dBm this corresponds to approx. 1,6V (50 Ohm System) but in the calibration setup I put the value 5,4V, so I think this should be 27dBm?

when calculating vswr depending on the curves for forward and reflected power there I got an value of 1,033 that seems to be to good isn't it?

regards
Attachments
Calibration 61000 4-6 0.15 - 80 MHz 3V.zip
(36.97 KiB) Downloaded 637 times
joro

Re: 61000-4-6 in Net-Power Calibration method

Post by joro »

Hello Radiuser,

Earlier today I wrote you an e-mail that contains an explanation of the configuration. I hope that that e-mail will answer all your questions.

The calculation of the VSWR indeed seems to be very good, however that is also a result of the correction of the reflected power meter, where the forward powermeter is not corrected. This is not a real problem, however this difference in correction will result in a better VSWR.

With best regards,

John
joro

Post by joro »

Just for completeness, I included a partial copy of my e-mail here:

You are performing a conducted immunity setup where you are calibrating the M2 CDN. This M2 CDN is a 150 Ohm system. To correctly calibrate this M2 CDN, a Calibration jig is required that also takes care of the conversion from 150 Ohm to 50 Ohm. You are using the FCC-801-150-50-CDN which is indeed designed and suitable to calibrate a M2 CDN.

Based on the calibration file that you provided to us, the calibrated forward power is +17 dBm. This indeed seems to be lower than expected to calibrate a 5.4 Vrms Testlevel in the CDN.
All the device drivers in RadiMation are programmed in such a way that the available information regarding the measurement product is already embedded by default in the RadiMation device driver. Thus for Couplers, RadiMation already knows the frequency range and the factory default attenuation values for the forward- and the reflected-port of the coupler. For CDN's RadiMation is already able to determine if it is a 150 Ohm or a 50 Ohm system. And the same is also true for Calibration Jigs. Depending on the selected Calibration Jig in the RadiMatoin testsite configuration, RadiMation knows if the calibration jig contains a '150 ohm to 50 ohm'-conversion, or that the calibration jig is designed for a 50 ohm system.

You also send us a screenshot which shows the correction of the coupler. Those correction factors are around +38.8 dB. Because the AR DC3010A coupler by factory default has a 40 dB attenuation, it is important to adjust the Factory Default Coupling factor in the coupler to 0 dB. Otherwise RadiMation would have been using 40 dB + 38.8 dB = 78.8 dB as the attenuation of the coupler. In the Calibration file I can see that indeed this factory default coupling factor is set to 0 dB for the AR DC3010A coupler. So that seems to be correct.
However you also corrected the Calibration Jig with 9.66 dB values. This correction that you configured will be added on top of the factory default correction that is already contained in the FCC-801-150-50-CDN calibration jig. There is no possibility for you to change this factory default calibration jig correction value, so RadiMation will be using 9.66 + 9.54 = 19,20 dB as the correction factor of the Calibration Jig. In our opinion this is the reason that the unexpected lower forward power is used during the conducted immunity calibration.

If you remove the 'Transfer Correction file' from the Calibration Jig device driver, the forward power will be 9.66 dB higher and will thus result in +26.66 dBm. This is also more in line with the to be expected forward power.
If you want to perform a really accurate Conducted Immunity calibration, you should provide a 'Transfer Correction file' that contains the correction value relative to the factory default transfer value. You can create this correction file by subtracting 9.5424 from all the current values in the 'Transfer Correction file'.
sast

Post by sast »

This topic refers to item #5820: Very low forward power during CDN calibration.