Van Veen loop measurements

Discussion and questions regarding the Radiated Emission and Conducted Emission modules of RadiMation.
incognito

Van Veen loop measurements

Post by incognito »

In order to meet EN 55015:2006+A2:2009 Section 4.4.1 Radated Electromagnetic Disturbances Frequency Range 9KHz to 30MHz, we need to use a large loop antenna (Van Veen Loop). The magnetic component is measured by means of a loop antenna as described in 4.7.1 of CISPR 16-1-4. The limits in the standard are dBuA but the software only allows the antenna factors to appear as dBuV/m with the resulting graph appearing as dBuV/m.
Is it possible for a TSF to be written under the menu option "Radiated Emissions" which uses this loop antenna and expresses the y axis of the graph as dBuA?
joro

Re: Van Veen loop measurements

Post by joro »

The EN 55015 describes in section 4.4 that a Loop Antenna System (LAS) can be used to measure the electro magnetic field emissions of lighting systems.
In table 3 the applicable frequency dependant limits are specified for different diameters of the used loop antennas. These limits are specified as the maximum allowed current through the loop antenna.
The correlation to the related magnetic field for different diameters of the loop antennas is already performed by the standards comittee, and only the really measured current through the loop antenna is specified in the disturbance limit table (Table 3).

To perform a measurement with RadiMation on the Loop Antenna System (Also see CISPR 16, Annex C) it is only necessary to measure the current in the loop antennas and represent that in dBuA. This measurement can be performed by using the 'Conducted Emission, LISN (Multiband)' test. In the configuration of the Multiband LISN test, change the 'Location Type' of each band to: 'Current Sensor'. This change of the 'Location Type' to 'Current sensor' indicates to the Multiband test that a current sensor will be used as the transducer, and this will result in a representation of the measurements results in a current unit. The desired current unit (very often: dBuA) can be specified by using the 'Units' button, after which the desired 'Current' unit can be selected. In this measurement configuration the software is expecting a test-site that contains at least a 'spectrum analyzer' and a 'current sensor'.
radiuser

Post by radiuser »

Hi,
I just used to measure with the van veen Loop antenna as described by joro.
I do the measurement with each axis seperately(Schwarzbeck HXYZ 9170) but radimation always measured it three times (Location type: LISN Line1, 2, 3) and I don't know why because I set the Location type to "Current Sensor" (see att.).

Regards
Attachments
van veen loop measurement.zip
van veen loop measurement
(758.6 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
joro

Post by joro »

Hello radiuser,
radiuser wrote:I do the measurement with each axis seperately(Schwarzbeck HXYZ 9170) but radimation always measured it three times (Location type: LISN Line1, 2, 3) and I don't know why
Depending on the configuration in the TSF file, this indeed can be possible, but it can be easily fixed.
In the TSF temporarily change the ‘Location type’ to LISN again. Then uncheck all the checkboxes for ‘Neutral’, ‘Line 1’, ‘Line 2’ and ‘Line 3’, and then change the ‘Location Type’ back to ‘Current sensor’. This should be done for each individual band.
When the TSF is modified to not perform any measurement on any LISN line the test is correctly performed according to the EN55015.